Thursday, July 23, 2009

First Trip to the Dentist!

I have heard stories about children's visits to the dentist and adult's fears of the dentist. I was determined that Lizzy would not fear the dentist. I have been prepping her all week for her trip yesterday. I explained how the "dentist" (why talk about hygenists now, no offense to anyone) will look at her pretty white teeth. How the dentist will clean her teeth and make them even more white. On the way to the dentist office (which she connected that Grandpa has an office, too- a big plus!) I asked, "Lizzy, are you excited?!" Always smiling and encouraging the "correct" response. She was great while we filled out paperwork. Then, as she walked into the little room and she saw everything, she froze. I coaxed her in and Jessica, the hygenist, took over. She was AMAZING!!!!


Lizzy decided Raffie (the giraffe) needed gloves, too, just like Jessica and her. Of course, Raffie needed gloves on all four limbs.


It's time to count Raffie's teeth. Lizzy assists Jessica by handing her the mirror. FYI... Jessica informed us that a giraffe has 86 teeth.


Lizzy waits eagerly, asking, "What's next Mommy? What does she need?" Jessica is "cleaning" Raffie's teeth.


Lizzy begins to ask questions. Lizzy gets gauze to wipe Raffie's mouth.


Wiping of Raffie's mouth.


After all the prep work Jessica put in to showing Lizzy what will be done, it is Lizzy's turn. She lied on my chest the whole time.


"How much did Lizzy actually let Jessica do to her teeth?" you ask. EVERYTHING!!!!!! Counting the teeth (20 btw), using the sharp tool (Jessica showed her what it feels like on her fingernail), cleaning, swishing (don't know that she actually swished, but oh, well). She even let the actual dentist come in and check over her teeth!

I am very pleased. Jessica, at Modern Day Dental in Owasso, was FABULOUS!!!!! I highly recommend any parents trying to make it easier on their children to ask for her and take in a favorite animal. Lizzy happened to get the giraffe on Tuesday, the day before, at the zoo. I don't care if she takes a stuffed animal or even a baby doll around town with us, as long as people understand I've already paid for it. It was just a stroke of luck that we found such a wonderful hygenist and we happened to have Raffie with us. I will always have an animal, now, especially when we go to the pediatrician.

No comments:

Why Mormons Build Temples

The Freedom To...

States I Have Visited

States I Have Visitied
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com