Sunday, July 5, 2009

Locked In!

Our house has two separate parts. We have the main living area and then, there is the "back porch." The back porch is inside the house, but we close it off with a door to keep the heat (or cold) out. This is also known as the laundry/dining room.

I was preparing baked potatoes for dinner Friday night. The potatoes were in the microwave and the broccoli was cooking on the stove. I went to check the laundry, with Lizzy in tow, as usual. At some point, Lizzy learned to lock doors. She decided to lock the door to the dining/laundry/back porch, before we went in. Upon completing the laundry task, we proceeded back to the kitchen. To my surprise, the door was locked. I tried a second time, no, I wasn't imaging anything.

"Lizzy, did you lock the door?"
"Yes, mommy."
"Lizzy, we don't lock this door. Now we are locked in the house. We are going to have to walk all the way down to Nana's, in our p.j.s, barefoot, on the gravel to get keys."

Yes, I am a mean mommy. I made her walk barefoot for a small portion of the path (we used grass when it was available) to Nana's house. All the way down, we talked about the importance of not locking the door and the natural consequences of choosing to lock the door again. (walking, barefoot, in our pjs, on the gravel, sweating in the heat)

Thankfully, Nana was home and we were able to get back in the house before the broccoli was too scorched or burned the house down.

Lizzy is lots of fun. I am grateful for the opportunities to teach her. I am especially grateful for the Holy Ghost which guides me to teach her in loving and kind ways. I could've easily lost my cool, got frustrated and angry, but what's the point?! I don't want her (or anyone) to be afraid to make a mistake. Mistakes are okay. As long as you learn from them and try not to repeat it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that room kind of like the one we had on Independence; the one mom used to store food, wash clothes and had a deep freezer in it?

It's nice to be able to talk about the problem or mistake rather the hollering, I talk with my children majority of the time and give them advice and speak of what consequences could happen depening on the situation.

Holly Baker said...

I don't remember the room, but it sounds the same.

Why Mormons Build Temples

The Freedom To...

States I Have Visited

States I Have Visitied
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com